Friday, April 3, 2015

Research Project Proposal

“Service” Proposal

            When it comes to the topic of “service” there are many ways one can go with this.  That is something on which I wish to expand on during the course of my Research Project.  This brings in to mind about the questions I will be exploring throughout this paper.  First, what does “service” mean?  Second, how far does “service” help with preparing students for the world, for the workplace of their choosing?  Lastly, how do “service” organizations help to develop the students to become a better person?  When I heard that the topic for our Research Project was to be “service” I decided that I wanted to explore the issue of service organizations in higher education, such as the ones in colleges and universities, maybe even include the ones from high schools.  To me, when I think of “service” I think of community service, I think of helping those who are less fortunate than us, I think of doing what we can to help out our fellow man.  Though, I also believe that “service” can also mean more than that, that it could also mean helping others through our jobs, like medically serving people.  Going off of that is my second question.  If I were to think of “service” as a job, what does it mean for our futures?  When I think of helping out at nursing homes, doing volunteer work, I cannot help but think of my mom, who is a nurse that has actually worked in such places.  Doing “service” work like that would be of great help for one’s future.  This way the students would have already gotten some hands-on-experience, and would be better prepared if they come upon similar situations.  Finally, with my last question what do we get out of it?  Does “service” really help us become better people?  I think it does.  We’re doing all this work, not because we want something, but because we generally care.  Sure, it could help us with our future paths, but that’s not the main reason.  “Service” organizations are there to help others, and by helping all those different people we also help ourselves to become better members of our community.  I wish to use the different sources I have gathered to answer all the questions I have pertaining to this topic.  I want to show how service is not just about community work, that it can be thought of as hands-on-experience for our future positions in life, and that it can help others become a better “you”.    

No comments:

Post a Comment