Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My "Magical Black Man"

When I first started thinking about what I wanted to do in life, my came up blank.  There were just so many options, how could I ever choose?  It was actually my mom that gave me the idea of becoming a physical therapist, or an assistant.  At the time I was okay with that because now I had a goal.  Later on I started to change my mind and decided that I wanted to become a psychologist (counseling or clinic).  I thought that it would be great: learning about how the mind works, learning about why people do the things they do, and learning how to help them.  Though, my parents weren't too thrilled about my decision.  My mom understood why I chose that, since psychology is a pretty interesing field, but she was concerned about my future.  She was worried about whether or not I would be able to find a job.  She even asked around with her friends, and found out while they or their kids were able to get a degree they weren't too fortunate in finding a job.  In the end, I went back to wanting to become a physical therapist, and searching for schools that could help me accomplish that.  If it weren't that I might be in a different school, learning who knows what.  Besides, either way, I'm still in the medical field.  It's just that I'll be leaning more about the body than the mind.  Though, maybe I could at least get a minor in psychology.  After all, it could only help me to learn about how my future patients are thinking, leading me to better help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment